Rehabilitation and counselling
Hearing devices help with your listening needs but may not solve all your problems. Evidence has shown that your communication goals are best achieved by a holistic approach.
Aural Rehabilitation is defined (with reference directly to the World Health Organisation (WHO) model of health conditions) as; “the reduction of hearing-loss induced deficits of function, activity, participation, and quality of life through a combination of sensory management, instruction, perceptual training, and counselling”.*
While sensory management alone may lead to improved outcomes for you, a more holistic approach to aural rehabilitation will improve the chances of ‘being out of the woods’ when it comes to better communication.
The Shout holistic approach involves a combination of:
- Hearing assessment
- Understanding your communication difficulty and hearing goals
- Strategy based problem solving including:
- Hearing devices – to improve your access to sounds
- ALDs – to improve your everyday activities
- Instruction – on hearing device management
- Hearing tactics and other strategies – to assist with communication goals
- Auditory training – to enhance speech perception
- Counselling – to improve your involvement in the activities you enjoy and to help you deal practically with the limitations of having a hearing loss
- Group involvement – for family and communication partners
- Program evaluation – to ensure your individualised rehabilitation plan is meeting your communication goals
Our Rehabilitation Sessions
Shout Hearing Healthcare run counselling and information sessions that have a focus on maximising communication. Sessions are designed to assess the particular communication difficulties that affect you and your partner. The sessions deal both emotionally and practically with residual limitations. Your communication partners are encouraged to attend. Group or individual sessions are available. For private clients, these sessions are included in the clinical appointments in your rehabilitation package. For government clients, these sessions may be covered under the Office of Hearing Services program. For further information, please call us on (02) 9484 2246 or make an appointment.