You can use these questions as a guide to determine for yourself or your child if an audiological (hearing) evaluation is required. These questions are a great initial self-assessment you can do at home.
- Your child responds inconsistently to sound.
- Their language and speech development is delayed.
- Their speech is unclear.
- Your child is not performing well at school.
- They turn the volume up too high on electronic equipment (radio, TV etc).
- You feel your child often misses or does not follow directions.
- Your child often asks you to repeat yourself.
- Your child does not respond when called.
If you answered ‘yes’ to two or more of the above questions, we recommend making an appointment to have your child’s hearing evaluated by one of our university qualified audiologists.
- Do you have difficulty listening on the phone?
- Do you find that your hear better in one ear over the other when you are talking on the phone?
- Do you have trouble following the conversation when two or more people are talking simultaneously?
- Do others complain that you turn the TV volume up too high?
- Do you have to strain to understand conversation?
- Do you have trouble hearing in a noisy environment (for example in a restaurant or shopping centre)?
- Do you experience dizziness or ringing/buzzing in your ears?
- Do you find yourself asking people to repeat themselves?
- Do your family or friends comment that you miss what they have said?
- Do others seem to mumble (or not speak clearly)?
- Do you sometimes misunderstand what others are saying and respond inappropriately?
- Do you have trouble understanding what is being said by women and children (more so than men)?
- Do others get annoyed because you misunderstand what they say?
If you answered ‘yes’ to two or more of the above questions, we recommend coming in and simply starting a conversation with one of our university qualified audiologists. They will guide you through each step. Like most things in life it is getting started that is the hardest part. Shout Hearing Healthcare are ready when you are.